Play Type: Transition Offense
This drill will help players understand how to get quality 3 point shots in transition
- Coming down in transition your shooting guard(2) and small forward(3) should be on the right and left wings
- Your center(5) should be trying to post directly underneath the rim.
- Your point guard(1) is bringing the ball up on the right, with your power forward(4) trailing him to the left.
- Once your power forward reaches the three point line, have your point guard swing it to him and leave to set your shooting guard a screen.
- Your 4-man should then swing it to the small forward, and set a screen a couple feet behind your point guard along the same plane – this is called a staggered screen.
- As the pass is made to your small forward, your center should flash to him and try to seal down low.
- If there isn’t a layup available there, he will hit your shooting guard as he comes off the power forward’s screen at the top of the key.
– Emphasize the importance of a tight curl off the screens – they should be bumping shoulders
– Your power forward should roll to the basket after his screen looking for either the pass or a putback on the shot
– Don’t just look off the center – if you make that pass a couple times the defense will start to collapse, giving you an even easier look at the three
– With youth, make sure to plan screening drills into your practice before you show them the play – fundamentals first
The Zone Offenses playbook is packed with 11 game-tested plays to help you break down ANY type of zone and get high percentage scoring opportunities.
In no time at all, your team can master these techniques and start eating zone defense for breakfast… even if you’re opponent is stronger, faster, or more experienced. Best of all, it’s delivered in PDF format, so you can get instant digital access… right over your computer screen, smartphone, tablet, or eReader… from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection!