I believe it is extremely important when coaching basketball to teach and to install continual fakes into your game. You are able to gain an edge every time you use the fake!
Pass Fake, Shot Fake Drill
- Start with the Coach at the point with a ball.
- Have your 1’s, 2’s and 3’s on the wing about 3 feet behind the 3 point/Volleyball line cross point.
- Put your 4’s and 5’s on the low block with another Coach playing defense.
- The wing makes a V cut towards the baseline and back to the starting point.
- The Coach makes a pass outside the three point line.
- The wing catches, faces the basket, shot fakes and takes 2 dribbles towards the baseline.
- The wing makes a jump stop, then makes a pass fake low followed by a high entry pass to the post.
- The post then makes a move to the basket and scores.
I’m starting to see our kids use these fakes and it opens up the court for them and they get excited.
If you enjoyed this post, you’ll really like this basketball coaching article I just wrote.