Play Type:“ “ Ballhandling
This drill is a fun way to teach players to go for loose balls.
- Start by dividing the team into three groups.
- The groups will line up with the adult in the middle with the ball.
- The coach or helper will toss the ball, and the kids race to get it.
- Once a player is able to secure the ball, he dribbles to the closest basket and attempts to score (1 vs 2) against the other players.
- The other players try to steal the ball or secure a rebound so they can score on their own.
- The drill is finished when one of the players scores.
- The adult should use different tosses each time – up in the air, straight ahead, to one side or the other, even rolling on the ground – to prepare players for real game-like situations.
- Coaches and helpers should remind players that the goal is to go for the ball, not each other.
- Players should be aggressive, but they need to be careful not to hurt each other.
If you want cut down your turnovers, improve your ballhandling, and develop a crisper, more effective offensive attack – then the Perimeter Skill Development Drillbook is just what your team needs!
Inside, you’ll discover 21 simple, fun and effective basketball drills for shooting, passing, and dribbling. You’ll get instant access to an entire season of practice ideas for every age and competitive level… from basic fundamentals to advanced in-game strategies and tactics.
Best of all, it’s delivered in PDF format, so you can get instant digital access… right over your computer screen, smartphone, tablet, or eReader… from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection!