This defensive drill is focused on teaching the concepts of help defense. Teach players to at all times to see the ball, the basket, and the player they are guarding.
• Players 1-4 stand around the perimeter of the 3-point line on offense
• Players 5-8 stand inside the perimeter of the 3-point in, each guarding an offensive player
• Players 1-4 swing the ball around the perimeter, allowing Players 5-8 to rotate defensively
• The defensive rotations are as follows:
o Guarding the ball: Hands up, close pressure on the defender
o One pass away: Deny position, preventing your player from catching a pass
o Two passes away: Help position, up in the passing lane 1/3 of the distance toward the player with the ball
o Three passes away: Help position, up in the passing lane ½ of the distance toward the player with the ball
• Offense rotates to defense after the time allotted
Points of Emphasis
• Sag back far enough toward the basket so that you can see the ball and your man without turning your head.
• Use your peripheral vision to see the court. Avoid swinging your head back and forth.
• Always point to the ball and your man
• Yell out to your teammates to let them know what defensive rotation you are in (i.e. “Deny!” or “Help”)