Play Type:Â Â Point Guard Passing Drill
This is a great passing drill that focuses on catching the ball on the move.
- Have your point guard start at halfcourt with the ball in their hands.
- Youâ€™ll have a wing player setup at the foul line extended, and another offensive player on the opposite block, with the sole defensive player in stance at the top of the key.
- Based on how the defender reacts to the point guard and surrounding players, the point guard will have to make the correct read and get the ball to the open player.
- Your point guard is going to come strong with an attack dribble on the same side as the wing, looking to get a foot in the key.
- As they drive into the paint, the wing player is going to fill in the open space behind the point guard, like a vacuum, with their hands ready to catch the ball.
- The point guard will come to a jump stop, pivot, and make the pass back out to the wing player as they step into the pass â€“ from there they can do whatever they feel most comfortable doing, whether thatâ€™s a three point shot or taking it strong to the rim.
If the point guard is only a couple feet away from the wing player, they might feel more comfortable making a shovel pass â€“ this is yourÂ prerogative as a coach whether your okay with it.
If you want cut down your turnovers, improve your ballhandling, and develop a crisper, more effective offensive attack – then the Perimeter Skill Development Drillbook is just what your team needs!
Inside, you’ll discover 21 simple, fun and effective drills for shooting, passing, and dribbling. You’ll get instant access to an entire season of practice ideas for every age and competitive level… from basic fundamentals to advanced in-game strategies and tactics.
Best of all, itâ€™s delivered in PDF format, so you can get instant digital accessâ€¦ right over your computer screen, smartphone, tablet, or eReaderâ€¦ from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection!