Breaking the zone defense can be tough – this drill will help condition players to pass quickly to spread the zone out.
- To start, you only need 5 players on offense to begin the drill, spread out over the perimeter. Later, you can add defenders to help provide more game-like situations.
How it Works
- Player 1 will start with the ball just outside the three-point line. He or she will pass the ball to either Player 2 or Player 3 to start.
- Then, the pass goes to the post position, and then cycles back around – 3,1,2,4â€¦ and then cycles back again.
- Players can add a fake in here one way, and go back the other, but they should refrain from throwing the ball across the court – this type of pass is often intercepted.
- This is a great chance to practice the overhead pass – which is often used to skip the ball against a zone
- Adding a defense running a zone will help your players develop their swing pass timing and quickness, and help them spread a zone defense out.