In today’s video blog post, we are demonstrating a little finesse move called a “Baby Jump Hook Shot”. This may not be a real physical drill, but it’s important to include in your basketball practice plan, so that players can develop a nice soft touch around the basket in banking it off the banking board.
“Baby Jump Hook Shot” Drill
Even if your player powers his way in, he still has to develop a nice touch to use once he gets up to the basket itself. Yes, power is very important in the game of basketball. And yes, I’m a firm believer that you’ve got to teach power first before you teach finesse, because kids will go to the finesse game and not mentally everyone will go to the physical game if you teach them finesse first. But if you address strength and physical play first, then you will be ready to add a nice blend of finesse basketball.
Breaking Down the Drill:
- Focus is to develop a soft touch around the basket
- Toss the ball against the board, and then make the jump hook immediately after getting the short rebound off the board
- Simulates multiple shot attempts
- Put back missed shots and score them immediately
- Great players combine both finesse and power techniques
Looking for more great jump hook shot drills?“ Then check out the Basketball Inner Circle, which is full of great basketball drills, tips and techniques, complete with video demonstrations!“ And don’t forget to Join Us on Facebook!