When I’m teaching the Motion Offense I use this drill that I call the Motion Passing Drill. This drill really teaches the importance of moving to receive the pass (v-cut), the back door cut, and passing to the post (especially coming from the weak side).
Motion Passing Drill
- 5 on 5 half court scrimmage – Man to Man defense.
- No dribbling or shooting allowed.
- Each team gets 3 possessions (change possession on a turnover).
- Each successful pass gets a point.
- A pass to the block or elbow or to a cutter in the lane gets 5 points.
- Fouls give 5 points to the other team.
The team that loses runs, while the team that wins watches.