Drill Type:Â Defensive Drill
The purpose of this defensive drill is to teach the defense to box out. It also teaches players to transition quickly from defense to offense.
- Three players set-up in a triangle under the basket.
- Two other defensive players stand on each wing.
- Three offensive players will try to get the rebound.
- The three defenders must box out these players.
- Coach takes the shot. When the shot is taken, the defensive players must box out the offensive players.
- Once a defender grabs the rebound, that player must make an outlet pass to one of the players on the wing.
- The offensive players should contest the outlet pass. If the defense doesnâ€™t grab the rebound or successfully make an outlet pass, then the ball goes back to the coach for another shot.
- Once the outlet pass is made, all five players (the three in the triangle under the basket and the two outlet players) break up court and run a play.
- Once the play is completed, the drill is run again.
- The coach should make sure the defensive player find a man and successfully box that man out.
- Players should go up strong for the rebound. Then a crisp outlet pass should be made.