Players work on shooting form.
- Players pair up and line up across from each other on different sides of the lane.
- One player of each pair has a basketball.
How it Works
- Player with the ball starts by holding it out front on one hand.
- He then locks and loads into shooting position, putting the ball into the shooting pocket. The off hand stays off the ball.
- The player then â€œshoots for the stars.â€ He goes through his shooting motion and shoots a high, soft shot, letting the ball go out in front of him.
- Player holds follow-through until ball hits the court.
- The opposite player grabs the ball and then goes through the above steps.
- Once they get the hang of it, each player grabs their own ball. Set up 3-5 feet from the basket and take one-handed form shots at the basket.
- If a player makes 3 consecutive shots, he takes a step back. Repeat until the player reaches the free throw line.
- Younger players should be practicing this drill with a smaller size ball and lower nets appropriate for their age group
- The shotâ€™s power should be coming primarily from the legs. Players should not need to hoist it up using a chest-push or throw it from the shoulder.
- Wrist should be bent back in the load position so the ball is on a pedestal.
- Players should be extending their shooting arm up and forming a parachute on the follow through.